Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Perspectives

The citrus trees are blooming and an orangey-lemon scent permeates the air. It is the most exhilarating feeling to be immersed in such heavenly aromas when one does the simplest things, like going to the mailbox, or taking a walk, or opening a screen door.

There's been a bit of a heat wave (for this time of the year) in the desert with temperatures soaring into the high 90s for the last week or so. People who live here year round are a little distressed, as they worry that the summer heat will be starting early and lasting longer than usual. And it can get very hot! Temperatures soar to well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for weeks on end.

"Usually, I don't mind the heat," one woman told us when we were out to dinner one evening. "It's hot, but it's a dry heat and that makes all the difference." Her phrase reminded me of my days in Saskatchewan where the winters are harsh. People described the cold as being a dry cold, thereby implying that the cold wasn't as bad as the cold in more humid places. When I lived in Ottawa, I found this to be true. I felt way colder there, even though the temperatures weren't as low.

No comments: