Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Opera is not for everyone

Last evening Jerry and I went to a wonderful production of Die Fledermaus (The Bat) at the beautiful McCallum Theater in Palm Desert. It was very funny and the music was magnificent.

Before the show, we started chitchatting with a woman who was sitting beside us in a seat near the aisle. She told us that she had never been to an opera before and was looking forward to the experience. As the theatre began to fill up, she remarked that everyone looked like doctors or lawyers. I didn't know what to say about that.

I am not sure when the woman left exactly. It was during the first act when I looked over and saw that her seat was empty. I guess opera isn't for everyone. Still, after spending so much money on a ticket, I am curious why the woman wouldn't have waited a litte longer. I wonder how many times any of us atempt something new and not give it a chance? Or perhaps she is someone who knows her own mind so well that she doesn't need or want to spend time doing anything that doesn't please her. Or then again, maybe she left because she felt ill. Sometimes, as one of my uncles used to say, a cigar is just a cigar.

No comments: