Friday, April 07, 2006

A long week, but a good one

We arrived back in Calgary Monday night around 10:00 - a day earlier than planned. Jerry was in the "groove" as he called it, and the driving conditions were splendid. The only unfortunate thing was that I didn't take any pictures of the wonderful mountain and sky scapes that surrounded us as we travelled, but their images are indelibly etched in my head - not that that helps any of you reading this account.

I saw my mother at home before she went into the hospital on Tuesday. Many people called to wish her well with the surgery. Although the phone was ringing off the hook at times, my mother really enjoyed speaking with everyone. It struck me how important it is to call people when they are going through difficult times. So often, and I have been guilty of this more times than I care to admit, we feel that we are intruding. Sometimes, too, at least in my case I didn't know what to say. If my mother's experience is any indication, I've learned that the calls demonstrated that she was being supported and cheered on. And one doesn't have to say much- just letting the person know that she is being thought of is key.

The operation on Wednesday went very well according to the doctors and nurses. After coming out of the recovery room, I was surprised and relieved to see that she had good colour, was alert, feisty and in excellent spirits.

Mum was surprised and grateful that the pain was, in her words,” not as bad as I thought." Thankfully, this was the case. Mum is now at home after spending two nights in the hospital. She is walking around on her own and eating well. Not bad for an 85-year-old! When the tests from the surgery come back next week, my mother and her doctor will decide the best course of action in terms of treatment and radiation options.

Tomorrow I will visit her after I go walking with my husband in the morning. It is a good feeling being back in Calgary after almost 7 months away.

3 comments:

Susan Hollingshead said...

Glad your Mum's doing so well and it sure is nice that you were there for her. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

My dear EK. Until you become as prominent a blogger as Andrew Coyne--who has an advantage due to his following of youthful conservatives--you have to update at least once a week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen:
On the day that I had my surgery you visited me. I still have the card which shows an independent woman in good health drinking cool, refreshing, sparkling water from a bottle. That healthy joy of life was my model.
I don't recall if you phoned ahead of time but you came. Thanks.
Your mother demonstrated that imagined pain may actually be larger than the reality of pain. I'm glad she is healing.
Annette